Why does honey crystallize ?

What is honey?It is partially digested in the crop of the honey bee nectar.It practically consists of 80% carbohydrates, the remaining 20% ​​- water.It is possible to find folic acid, A-carotene and a variety of vitamins, including C, E, K, group B. This yummy like both kids and adults.

In its origin honey is divided into two categories - floral and honeydew.In the first case it is made by bees from the processing of nectar which they are collected during the warm season.In the second to serve its base of sweet release aphids (honeydew) and honeydew from the stems and leaves of plants.This type of honey, by the way, is also very much appreciated because of the presence of minerals and sugars.

flower honey in turn varies from plant species from which the nectar was collected.Accordingly, it has a diverse smell, taste and color.If it has been assembled from some individual plants, it is called: lime, mellisovy, Rowan, sunflower, buckwheat and so on, and if a few, then mixed or floral.

The consistency of honey is also divided into two types - liquid and stranded (crystallized).The first may have different degrees of viscosity, depending on the presence of a given amount of water, and the ambient temperature.Moreover, it becomes a liquid due to the large number of hydroxymethylfurfural.On the second form we will tell in the second part of our article.

Despite the fact that this wonderful product is recommended to use in the development of colds and simply as a preventive measure, it is not necessary to eat with allergies and infants under the age of one and a half years, as in the past it can cause botulism.

Alas, rarely seen a real honey on store shelves - it is replaced with artificial, which is produced by means of inversion of sucrose with the addition of acid (eg, citric acid).Unfortunately, such a product does not have a pronounced flavor and has no enzymes, and for its use coloring leaves St. John's wort or ordinary black tea.As you can imagine, benefit from it quite a bit.

But a poisonous honey knows not everyone.It turns out he is, if the bees collect nectar from poisonous plants.It occurs very rarely, but lung medicine poisoning cases are known: vomiting, headaches, dizziness, darkening of the eyes, fatigue.

Reasons for candy honey

Honey finds its relevance in the colder seasons.And while some doctors believe that it is in no way contributes to a more rapid recovery from the flu, our people do not believe this and use it as a means of healing for colds.However, then it will be a few of the other properties.

When sugar crystals honey begins to crystallize.These same crystals sink down to the bottom of the container, since they are much heavier than the other particles.That is why the crystallization starts from the bottom, gradually reaching the top.

But not all types of honey candy equally.If it prevails over the glucose-fructose, it may not be pleasing to thicken and have its taste for a long time.If on the contrary, less cane sugar, and glucose is greater then the product thickens.But when this happens, it is not known - on average, the process takes from two weeks to several months.It is interesting that predict what will be the grains of sugar, large or small, is also impossible.It happens that the honey is crystallized to such an extent that it begins to resemble the consistency of its sweet.

way that would get rid of the crystals, just maintain a jar with the product in warm water